I am writing this disclosure policy because the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is forcing me to. If I had a choice I wouldn’t do this since it reminds me of my real job. Where every few days I get yelled at for breaking a random policy I didn’t understand and/or knew about.
The FTC published a good story about the ruling that I suggest everyone read. It will give you a better understanding about why I have to write this and how it violates our first amendment rights.
- I do not make my living blogging about bacon, but I do make a few hundred dollars a month from it. The way I do that is, I sell CPM and direct advertising, use affiliate links, sell my own products, public speaking, and host events.
- I do receive free products from companies to review. This is a good thing because if I had to buy every product I reviewed I would be broke. This is also good for my readers because it gives me an opportunity to share something new with them.
- I always have and always will disclose when I receive something for free from a company. There are two reasons I do this:
- I like to be transparent with my readers. Honesty is the most important thing to have when you are a blogger.
- It shows my readers that companies respect what I have to say about their products and services. This helps build my credibility.
- I do not sell my opinions. Even if I receive something for free it does not change how I review the product. The main reason for this is because if I endorse a bad product I would lose my credibility.
Policy writing is not something I am good at or want to be good at, so if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. If you’re a company who wants to send me something to review let me know and I will send you my mailing address. Enjoy Bacon!
About UsMr. Baconpants is a blog about bacon, beer, and everything else that we find interesting. It's also the home of Bacon LIVE, the only internet show about bacon. [learn more]
Jason Mosley (aka Mr. Baconpants) is the king of all bacon. He started this blog in 2004 to share his love of bacon and beer.
Sean Brett (aka Bacon Knight) is the amazing co-host of Bacon Live, the weekly audio/video podcast about bacon and more.
Beth Mosley (aka Mrs. Baconpants) is a lover of good food and beer. She enjoys cooking and trying new recipes (with bacon).