I am really getting sick of articles that try to convince us that there is something wrong with liking bacon and that it’s just a fad that will fade away. For example, there was an article recently in the Wall Street Journal titled “Bacon Backlash“. It talks about how bacon is now in everything and it’s about time chefs learn a new trick. Here check out the articles tag line:

When bacon appears in cocktails, mashed potatoes and cupcakes, you know it’s time for chefs to find a new trick.

There is one thing that should tell you that this article is full of it just by the tag line. It’s that fact that the author is blown away that a chef would have the balls to put bacon in mashed potatoes. Maybe the guy is Jewish so he doesn’t know any better, but bacon and potatoes have been good friends for a long time.

The rest of the article is a big waste to time to read. All it is, is a plea for chefs to use other exotic ingredients in foods like smoked salt and mango vinegar.

What he doesn’t understand is, bacon is not a fad or a hot trend. It’s a food that just about every American has a connection with.

It wasn’t until the invention of the internet that people started to realize that there are a lot of other bacon lovers out there. We created blogs to express our love, chefs embraced us with open arms, we start festivals about our common idea that everyone should enjoy bacon, and the list goes on.

What I am trying to say is, the internet, chefs, TV, hipsters, or MTV didn’t start the bacon craze. Bacon did and it’s been doing it ever since it was created. The internet just made it possible for us to express it with al large audience. Then chefs just created new ways for us to enjoy it so don’t blame them. We, the Bacon Nation, have always been around, you just didn’t notice us before.

Bacon is here to stay and there is nothing you can do about it. Either enjoy bacon with us, or go back to your stinky tofu and leave us alone. Thanks!

8 Responses to The Bacon Bubble Will Never Burst

1. Steve2inLA says:

Jason, “Maybe the guy is Jewish so he doesn’t know any better…” Really? Do you think before you write?

What does being Jewish have anything to do with this issue other than providing you an opportunity to confirm suspicions that you’re an ignorant, small minded, prejudiced, pin head?

Next time, remember Mark Twain’s comment “”Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”

It’s called a joke. If you would read my blog or listen to my show you would now that I am not small minded.

It’s a fact that some Jewish people don’t eat pork for religious reasons. So my comment was implying that maybe they stayed away from bacon and didn’t know people put bacon on potatos all the time. Its not really a negative comment so I’m not really sure what you upset about.

You need to lighten up just a little.

Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.

3. Steve2 in LA says:

Actually, I’m a regular reader of your blog and will return. Just felt that the shot at my peeps was one of those things folks don’t realize is derogatory. You know, like we have horns, are cheap, eat our young AND don’t eat bacon. My parents were holocaust survivors but I currently the proud owner of multiple varieties of bacon, Benton’s Harrington’s, Burger’s, etc. and am a huge fan, something I picked up from them. I’ve eaten the chocolate-bacon dessert AND the pigs ear at Animal and am a firm believer in the “everything goes better with…” adage.

Perhaps my knee jerk reaction was a bit over the top (especially that “ignorant, prejudiced, pin head” thing) and for that, I apologize.

The world has gone mad and I seem to have a touch of it. Keep up the good work. Bacon rocks!

No worries. It really wasn’t that good of a joke and it bugged me that I made you that upset. I will remember to try and keep things politicly correct. That way I stay a way from being derogatory.

Thanks for clearing things up and enjoy bacon!

5. baconpocket says:

in other news, critic suggests sucrose is used to frequently in cooking, suggests using armpit sweat because it is unique.

i’m all for chefs experimenting with ingredients and flavors. they shouldn’t be bashed for using the secret weapon. the critics writing these anti-bacon messages probably wouldn’t be paid attention to, save the fact that they have “bacon” in the headline.

6. Cheryl says:

Jason, I’m with you. I know you were just assuming that Jews follow the tenets of their religion. Maybe Steve2 just feels guilty and is projecting that onto you. Uh oh, Jewish guilt! Now I’m not pc.

Or, maybe we should just assume that no one can resist bacon.

BaconPocket and Cheryl,

Thanks for the comments! Pocket, I think your right that they are just writing these articles for get attention. I guess its working…. oops.

8. [...] haters are going to have to find another way to get us to stop talking about bacon. Calling it just another food fad is a downright [...]