At Bacon Bash this year you might have been lucky enough to have a variation of the Atomic Buffalo Turd (ABT) cooked up by AJ Doyle (the guy that won the bacon eating contest). ABT’s have been around since 2005, you can find the original recipe here, but the ones at the event replaced the usual Little Smokies with pulled pork belly. This gave them the bacon flavor on the inside and out.
If you don’t know, a ABT is basically a jalapeno cut in half, then fill with something pork related and cream cheese, then lastly wrapped in bacon and cooked.
Now this isn’t the first time I seen someone experiment with perfection. Greg Givan, a man that knows how to BBQ, fills the jalapenos with pulled pork and adds a little dry rub to the mix (pictured above). Check out his recipe bellow.
Atomic Buffalo Turds with Pulled Pork
What you will need:
- 15 jalapeno peppers
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup smoked, pulled pork
- 1/2 tablespoon bbq rub
- 1 pound of bacon, preferably thinner cut
- 30 toothpicks
- Cut the peepers in half lengthwise, removing the seeds and veins. Optionally, if an even milder pepper heat is desired… soak the peppers in Sprite overnight.
- Mix the cream cheese, pulled pork, and rub in a medium bowl. Fill each pepper half with the cheese mixture and wrap each pepper with half a strip of bacon, securing bacon in place with a toothpick.
- Smoke the peppers at 225-250 degrees for approximately 60-90 minutes. Cook and eat remaining bacon while waiting.
Both Greg and AJ are quick to say that didn’t really invent anything here, but it’s still there personal touch on a classic BBQ dish. That’s the great thing about the Bacon Nation we are always inspiring each other to do great things with our favorite porky treat. Feel free to share you variation of the ABT in the comments.