If the release of Apple iPad wasn’t enough excitement for you this month, KFC’s new bunless chicken sandwich call the Double Down, should set you over the edge. It will be release nationwide on April 12th. There has already been a lot of buzz about this new sandwich.

Basically, the Double Down is a bacon and cheese sandwich with two chicken breasts as the bun. The one thing that kind of ticks me off about it is the fact that it only has two strips of bacon. Everyone knows that a good sandwich has at least four. But that’s not the point of this post and I’m not going to take the time to go into detail about the sandwich. Most of the internet already has and it would be very redundant.

What I want to know is. Do you think this is a stroke of genius or stupidity?

Is the general public really ready for a sandwich that breaks one of the golden rules of sandwich making, the bread? Everyone knows that bread can either make or break a sammy. Sure, some edge bars have played with the idea of using grilled cheeses as buns or hippy places using wraps, but they were at least in the bread family. KFC on the other hand has decided to give bread the finger and told it to F off.

This is your time to shine. Take the time to leave a comment and either defend bread to the bitter end or support the bold move by KFC. I am going to leave my 2 cents there too.

11 Responses to Is KFC’s Double Down, genius or stupid?

There are two reasons I think this is a dumb idea:

1. Not enough bacon. Come on really? Just two strips!

2. Greasy fingers. I don’t mind eating greasy food at a restaurant or home but when I am on the road (which is when I eat fast food) I hate having greasy hands. It’s gross.

A good sandwich needs bread!

2. Reminds me of the McDonalds hash browns… really greasy and leaves me a little queasy. :P

When I eat a hash brown, I hold it with the bag it came in.Very handy.Any if the bun is going to be that bleached flour crap,who needs it. But more bacon would be nice. A good black peeper bacon, 2 good chicken strips,and your choice of cheese. In a handy little bag.

If you never had peeper bacon , it’s very good.

5. baconpocket says:

in a slightly off-topic note, it’s much better than Subway’s new campaign. I keep hearing subway ads on the radio claiming that pepperoni is the new bacon. Come on!?! i like pepperoni and all, but that’s just ludicrous.
    anyways, i think the double down is a win if they make it manageable to eat like you all have mentioned. The ball is in their court to make the delivery match the hype.

6. bacon knight says:

I like that KFC is taking a page from taco bell and thinking outside the bun, but unless this thing is going to be on a vaule menu for around a dollar I say it will fail.
    Mosley you can’t say they have thrown the whole bread concept out the window. They are using breaded chicken. It has the word bread in it.

Bacon Knight, You right I thought of that as soon as I hit publish on the post. I am glad you called me out on that. ;)

8. spoon says:

what a freaking waste of bacon. 2 strips is an insult

9. Ho humm, I’m going to try to find some way to get my (soon to be) greasy mitts on one for dissection. I know I don’t really want to know what “Colonel Sauce” is, but I’ll finger it out.

10. The Baconator says:

Bread? Pah! I laugh in the face of doughy danger.

For when bread is removed, meat capacity increase. Simple food based maths gentlemen.

11. WPN says:

It’s just 2 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of chicken, and cheese nothing special here. Just a waste of money.