This recipe was the grand prize winner of my first ever bacon recipe contest. It’s was created by Merry Graham from Newhall, CA. Sean, the Bacon LIVE chatroom, and I all fell and love with the idea of the recipe. I can wait to get it a try possibly this weekend since this is this week’s “Weekend Cooking” assignment.
If you make this let us know what you thought about and if you think it should have won the grand prize. I am not sure how one could disappoint since it has two of my favorite foods in it, bacon and cornbread. But you never know till you make it.
I will be posting the other entries in the week to come and I am playing to compile them all in to a free ebook called “MrBaconpants’ Ever Expanding Book of Bacon Recipes”. With each new edition I will add more recipes to it as I get them. Look for more details about this soon.
Fruity Bacon Upside Down Cornbread with Orange Mascarpone Cheese
- 6 slices of Bacon, cut into 1” pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, 1/2” chunks (or drained canned pear chunks)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1¼ cup low fat milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 8 ounces Creamy Mascarpone Italian Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Orange Marmalade
- Extra Orange Marmalade for garnish
- Adjust oven rack to center of oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Over high heat, in a 10” cast iron skillet fry bacon pieces for 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium-high, continue to cook 1-2 minutes or until bacon is just about crisp; turn heat off. Evenly distribute bacon in skillet with spatula. Sprinkle cranberries on top of bacon followed by pears, and brown sugar. Set skillet aside.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, and butter; pour over flour mixture and whisk just until mixed. Spoon batter on top of bacon-cranberry-pear mixture; bake for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, thoroughly mix mascarpone with orange marmalade.
- Allow cornbread to cool in pan 3 minutes. Loosen sides of cornbread with a knife and invert onto a large serving plate. Cut into individual servings. Serve cornbread with a dollop of orange mascarpone and a spoonful of orange marmalade. Serve warm!
Serving Suggestions: Serve for Easter breakfast or brunch with scrambled eggs, quiche, or omelets. For lunch, a chicken salad and a slice of cornbread! And for dinner, this cornbread is great with ham, turkey or lamb.
Speedy Step: If you have a favorite boxed cornbread mix you can use it! Mix boxed cornbread as directed on package and spoon over bacon mixture. Bake as directed on cornbread package. To finish, follow step 4.
Recipe by Merry Graham – Newhall, CA
- Bacon Radio: First Show Jitters
Last week I told you about the idea I had for Bacon Radio, a podcast about the things this blog is about. Well we just…
- Bacon Radio: Difficulties at the End
Sean and I host bacon radio again with still a few jitters to work out. Before the show TalkShoe.com was having some issues…
- Bacon Radio: Growlers of Beer Make you Growl
I think we finally got it right, the show went without a hitch yesterday. We are also starting to get a few more live…
- Bacon Radio: First Show Jitters
About UsMr. Baconpants is a blog about bacon, beer, and everything else that we find interesting. It's also the home of Bacon LIVE, the only internet show about bacon. [learn more]
Jason Mosley (aka Mr. Baconpants) is the king of all bacon. He started this blog in 2004 to share his love of bacon and beer.
Sean Brett (aka Bacon Knight) is the amazing co-host of Bacon Live, the weekly audio/video podcast about bacon and more.
Beth Mosley (aka Mrs. Baconpants) is a lover of good food and beer. She enjoys cooking and trying new recipes (with bacon).