It’s Weekend Cooking time again and that means, I need to share with you the recipe that was the random prize winner of my first ever bacon recipe contest. It was submitted by a Bacon LIVE bit (viewer) but it was created by Sandy Ploy better known as the Milwaukee Cupcake Queen.
If I would have known better, I would have disqualified the entry, because I asked for original recipes. Thankfully Sandy is a good sport and she is letting me post the recipe on my blog and in my upcoming free ebook. So if you ever meet the Milwaukee Cupcake Queen, be sure to tell her thanks.
Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 25 Min | Ready In: 40 Min | Recipe Yields 2 dozen cupcakes
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.
Recipe by Sandy Ploy, Milwaukee Cupcake Queen | www.ironcupcakemilwaukee.com