Another new feature you are going to see on the blog is â€œWeekend Cookingâ€, where Beth and I will cook a bacon recipe and then share it with you. This weekâ€™s recipe is Lentil Soup made some of the leftover Nueskeâ€™s Applewood bacon. The recipe only called for three strips of bacon but I thought it would be better if we used four.
The soup has a very smokey flavor and the bacon doesnâ€™t get lost. I am not sure if thatâ€™s because we added the extra bacon or the fact that Nueskeâ€™s bacon as such a strong flavor. It also becomes more flavorful when you heat it up for leftovers.
Give the recipe a try and let us know what you thought about it. If you changed anything please share via a comment. Send recipe ideas to jmosley at mrbaconpants dot com.
Lentil Soup w/ Nueskeâ€™s Applewood Bacon
Prep: 20 minutes Total: 1 hour Serves: 4
- 4 strips (4 ounces) bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a Dutch oven (or other 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid), cook bacon over medium-low heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute.
- Add lentils, thyme, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.
Adapted from a recipe in Martha Stewart Living, March 2005 (all we did was add more bacon)
Nueskes supplied the Applewood Smoke Bacon free of charge. This is a good thing because if I had to buy everything I reviewed or used on this site I would be broke. Read my disclosure policy for more information.