On last night’s show Sean and I interviewed John Li, an Executive chef at Kraft foods. He gave us some great bacon stories and tips. I really hope to have him on the show again. Sean also shared with us a great holiday story called “It was the Night Before Bacon Fest”. I think we are going to try and make it an illustrated book.
Bacon LIVE 058:
I am still hard at work trying to bring back the MP3 version of the show.
Watch us on uStream.tv!
Show notes by Aaron Tucker:
- Today’s show started with an interview with John Li from Kraft about the new Oscar Mayer Super-Thick Applewood Smoked Bacon!
- Bacon tips from John:
With thick bacon, cook it on medium-low in a pan or just lay it out in the oven and cook at 350 for 25 minutes or so for perfect bacon. For pan-cooking bacon, the most important thing is to not crowd the bacon! Freezing a few slices of raw bacon for easy access is a great idea, but don’t freeze cooked bacon, it won’t taste right later.
- Hopefully John will be back for future episodes with more cool bacon info!
- At 24 minutes in, we finally get to see the first taste test of the Oscar Mayer Super-Thick-Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon! The smell and taste were most excellent. Cooking it low and slow makes it crunchy on the outside and perfectly chewy on the inside! This could be the best store-bought bacon ever. There’s lots of better bacon, but truly great bacon is hard to come by unless you have $50 or more to pay for several pounds and some major shipping costs.
- Mr. Baconpants discussed his upcoming trip this weekend to the Dogfish Head Brewery for a 5-course pork dinner with special beers for each course.
- Today’s first video segment was a kid way too excited about getting a Nintendo Wii.
- The second video of the day was Chatham County Line playing Bacon in the Skillet. It was a pretty good music video, but not as cool as the kid getting a Wii.
- At the end of the show Sean brought out some Christmas bacon poetry. Just go watch it. Now!
- Read all the Tucker’s notes @ I <3 Bacon Salt.
Watch LIVE Wednesdays at 7 pm EST, go to our show page for details!
Oscar Mayer supplied the bacon for us to review and they setup the interview with John Li. Just so where are all on the same page be sure to read my disclosure policy. My opinions are never swayed by free bacon.