baconfail

I heard a commercial on the radio yesterday for the fast food chain Wendy’s. The radio ad went on to say that many fast food bacon is subpar, (Something that we have been saying for years). But that Wendy’s finally had the solution. Wendy’s is now claiming that their new Apple wood Smocked bacon is “crispy, twice as thick as before,” and that this is “the way bacon ought to be.”

The new bacon is available on their breakfast menu in the bacon egg and cheese biscuit and the Bacon Morning Melt Panini. Now I’m that guy that likes fast food breakfast but can never seem to get up before 10:30am, but today I made a sure my alarm was set for 6 am so I would have plenty of time.

I rolled up to the drive thru at about 7 and ordered the number 2. It came with the Bacon Morning Melt Panini (BMMP) a side of tots and a drink choice (I chose a vanilla iced coffee). The bill was a little over 5 bucks; I paid, got my food and was off to work.

During the couple minute commute all I could think about was crispy thick apple wood bacon. I wanted it so bad, I think I was driving at least 80MPH. A small part of my mind was saying “calm down, you’ve been tricked by fast food bacon claims before,” but I pushed that thought out of my head and started to drive even faster.

I ran into work BMMP in hand. When I got to my desk I opened the bag like a kid on Christmas. As I pulled the BMMP out one thing I noticed was the smell or the lack there of. I could smell the cheese, the egg, and even the vanilla from my coffee but not the bacon; this was not a good sign.

I took the BMMP out of its wrapper and could not see any bacon sticking out but I still had high hopes. I slowly lifted the bread and to my horror couldn’t see any bacon. All I saw was yellow egg. Then I realized the sandwich was upside down. I flipped it over and slowly lifted that slice of bread. Under it was a slice of tomato cheese and three slices of bacon. The bacon was longer than most fast food bacon but definitely not thicker. As for the claim of being crispy, that was a bald faced lie. Not one bit of the bacon had any crisp on it. It was all limp and chewy.

I ate one of the slices to see if I could taste the apple wood but unfortunately it wasn’t really there. There was a very faint flavor of it, and tasted like the flavor was added later not smoked into the meat.

Once again Wendy’s has disappointed me with bold claims and poor execution. It’s true that this bacon is a step up from the bacon used on the Baconator, but I still would not call this good bacon. So unfortunately I must continue the boycott of Wendy’s bacon products.

On a side note, I must also start a boycott on Wendy’s iced coffee. My vanilla iced coffee had a strange after taste that made me gag. The best way I can describe the taste is kind of like a rotten burnt vanilla, Wendy’s is starting to become by far the worst fast food chain in the game.

By Sean Brett

12 Responses to Wendy’s Bacon Morning Melt Panini: Bacon Fail

1. Rashers says:

Can’t agree with you more here, Mr. Baconpants, Wendy’s and dare I say most fast food places just cannot get bacon right.

Good bacon takes time to cook and time to raise with well-reared, well-fed pigs, neither of which are part of the fast food mindset.

Sadly the moronic copywriters at the big dumb agencies that trot out the ad copy only serve to confuse people about what bacon really should taste like.

2. Amber says:

Thanks for the heads up! My biggest pet peeve is ordering something with bacon on it thinking it’s going to be yummy and it’s not. Last week I had a bacon blue burger at a local pub and it tasted disgusting!!

Rashers and Amber,

I am glad Sean and I could help save you from this horrible bacon travesty. Cooking good bacon is not hard… so I don’t know why fast food companies cant get it right.

The only one that kinda gets things right is McDonald’s with there Angus burgers.

4. Dr Paisley says:

You believed fast food hype, and want to whine about being disappointed? Wrong! After the Baconator, you should have known better.

The bacon was longer than most fast food bacon but defiantly

definitely, not defiantly

not thicker. As for the claim of being crispy, that was a bold face lie.

bald faced, or, if you are familiar with Pogo, “ball-faced.”

Dictionaries, your best friend after bacon.

5. Pambie says:

Ah … this reminds me of when I heard so many good things about the McDonalds chicken biscuit. How perfect the combination of the crispy chicken breast and tender buttermilk biscuit was. How it made the perfect – and, surprise! – not terribly high cal breakfast. I, too, stopped by one morning on my way to work, this despite not having stepped foot in McDonalds or any fast food restaurant since reading Fast Food Nation about 3 years earlier. I had already been to the gym at 5:30 that morning and was ravenous by the time I bit into my chicken biscuit at around 9 am. Surprise. I nearly threw up in my mouth and couldn’t even, in good conscience, offer my chicken biscuit to even my worst co-worker. Foul, nasty stuff. Don’t eat fast food.

6. Bacon Chris says:

I give Wendy’s credit for recognizing the obvious lack of bacon goodness in the fast food industry. But zero points for execution, I too was beyond disappointed this travesty of a ‘bacon’ sandwich, but I was expecting it to not live up to the hype. I am not saying there should be something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suomynona/3365183836/ but fast food bacon still has a long way to go.

7. Aaron says:

I always go with “order more bacon” when getting any fast food. I should make a video to show you all the look on a McDonald’s employee’s face when I get the bacon and egg bagel with 5x (12 slices) of bacon! I haven’t been to a Wendy’s in years.

Here in the middle of nowhere we have a train car diner that serves the BEST burgers with a huge helping of crunchy jalapeno bacon of awesomeness, and then served on a homemade jalapeno roll. BAM!

8. Aaron says:

Also, for fast food, if you order lots of bacon, they have to go cook it, so you get it fresh, not after it’s sat in the ltitle steamer for 20 minutes and then a quick microwaving before it gets to you.

9. RA says:

I went to a Rallys, known as a Checkers in some areas, and they had the crispiest bacon I’ve had at a fast food place. I think they actually deep fry it.

10. todd says:

have you considered the possibility that the bacon was ruined because you left it wrapped up in wet, steamy sandwich paper for all the time it took you to get from the wendy’s to your desk? you need to get your ass out of bed a little earlier and eat the sandwich fresh off the griddle inside the restaurant. you may still find the same bacon disappointment, but at least your investigative methods will be sound the second time around.

11. EasyTomatoes.com » Blog Archive » Tips to Organize Your Kitchen on a Budget…

There are 3 responses to “Upside Down Gardening”….

12. [...] Sean and I both thought that bacon was to thin and in the right light you could almost see though it. I thought the texture was like eating crispy cardboard. Also, since the flavor was added and not smoked in to the meat it had a strange taste to it. Even with all the hate we had for this bacon, it was still better then that crap Wendy’s tries to pass off as bacon. [...]