baconmedia

Jolene Ketzenberger from the Indianapolis Star wrote a story about the never heard of before bacon craze that’s sweeping the nation. Besides being about 3 years late, there was one other thing that I disliked about the story, the lack of Mr. Baconpants.

Come on you so called reporters do your homework. This lady refers to bacon blogs but only mentions bacn.com and bacontoday.com (both very new to bacon blogging). Where’s the love? Mr. Baconpants has been thriving for years with a large and loyal fan base, but these “reporters” refuse to acknowledge our presence.

Could it be because they are not really into the whole bacon lifestyle? Could it be that their boss tells them to do a bacon story so they just crap one out? Or could it be that the mainstream media has a boycott against Mr. Baconpants?

Sure you might think I sound a bit crazy with that last one, but think about it. Mr. Baconpants tells it how it is. We’ve slammed Wendy’s, Arby’s, McDonalds, and any other company or person that insults us with their low standard of bacon.

We all know that the majority of companies in this world are owned by the same people. Is it too much of a stretch to think that the owner of Arby’s has connections with NBC, CBS, FOX, or any other media source. And that our reporting style might ruffle a few feathers.

Well, the mainstream media blackout of Mr. Baconpants isn’t going to stop us. The internet is where the revolution is taking place. Our voice will be herd, and as long as restaurants keep trying to take advantage of the average bacon lover, we will be here to let you good people know about it.

Thank you for all your support, and remember bacon loves you.

By Sean Brett

9 Responses to Mainstream Media Blackout of Mr. Baconpants

Sean,

I think its this one: “Could it be that their boss tells them to do a bacon story so they just crap one out?”

I just think its lack of knowledge in what they are writing about. I know for a fact that PR and Marketing people read my blog and love it. They enjoy our honest feed back and like that we give them suggestion on improving.

I just wish they paid us for that insight! JERKS!!! ;)

But I do find it annoying that they (mainstream media) take the time to mention other bloggers but fail to mention the ones that started it all, IHeartBacon.com, BaconUnwrapped.com, and Me MrBaconpants.com!

2. Tasha says:

I googled “bacon blogs” & Mr. Baconpants was halfway down the second page, so maybe they just did the absolute minimum amount of research required.

3. Al Hunter says:

…and sometimes there’s a real reason to be paranoid!

there’s a penalty to be paid for speaking out

The Backout continues!

Why is a paper on the East Coast talking about bloggers on the West Coast!

I live less 7 hours way from these people and they don’t mention me once! Maybe Sean and Al Hunter is right!

I Found another story that fail to mention the BACON NATION.

“THE MEDIA BLACKOUT ON ME IS TRUE!

How do you do a story about bacon and not mention Mr. Baconpants! I have been blogging about the stuff since 2003. Which is way longer then BaconToday.com.

Not only did you forget about me but you also forgot about BaconUnwrapped.com who is writing a BOOK about bacon! A BOOK, WHICH IS BIG NEWS!!!! It’s going to be published in May by Collins Living (there a big deal).

You also FAILED to mention the biggest bacon event in the country, The Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival in Des Moines IA.

I wouldn’t be so mad it was only me you forgot about, but when you forget some big players in the Bacon Nation it shows your did no research in the REAL culture around bacon.

Next time you want to write about bacon to yourself a favor and let the big boys handle it.”

Here is what I sent them feel free to copy it and send it to them yourself. Lets fill up there inbox with BACON NATION!

6. Chrys Bundy says:

Maybe you can work on your metatags and slowly work your way up on the bacon results page on various search engines…. Long time reader, first time commenter. Love your show…

Yeah I have been working on the SEO of my blog for awhile. I am on top for a lot of other bacon keywords but with “Bacon Blog” I am all the way on page 2. I dont get it. :(

8. Shanna says:

Really sorry to hear about your “blackout”. I know how difficult and frustrating it is to be one of the “old schoolers” as far as having a website (I’ve had various versions of mine online since ’99 and a blog since ’03).

Now I just have personal crap and no focus or set topic on my stuff so it makes sense that I can be buried in the search engines to some degree, but to have a niche blog/site like yours not be recognized by the media is pretty damn bogus. A bit of time & research would have shown that you had been online longer & had more bacon info than most, regardless of your position on Google search. Furthermore, most of these sites are flash-in-the-pans; they will be gone in a year or two. You have – obviously – the staying power; a veritable always-online, all-bacon, all-the-time, information powerhouse.

I really feel you, though – I know what it’s like to be one of the old dinosaurs (remember hand-coding HTML in Notepad and redoing *each* page when you wanted a change b/c wtfmfbacon was CSS??) who’s been around forever yet gets less attention & hits than some new, flashy kid on the block with considerably less substance.

Cheers, mate – and keep up the good baconing. Remember, the old fans will always come back & new ones will still be made; forget the mass media. Here today & gone tomorrow. In the end, web surfers know where to come for the good stuff. *hugs*

Shanna,

Thanks for the great comment!

ENJOY BACON!