This year the Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival was bigger, better, and greasier than the one before it. It started off great with a five course bacon meal at Café di Scala in Des Moines on Wednesday. Heather did a nice post about the whole meal; I will be doing my own in the near future. The bacon eating contest was a sight to see and the bacon explosion also made an appearance at this year’s event.
If you missed it here is a recap of the coverage by media and other bloggers:
- Metromix of Des Monies did a great story about the birth of bacon fest.
- A local free paper did a story about me documenting this years event.
- I was featured on the news along with Brooks Reynolds to promote the event.
- Marshall and I were both on the Morning Moose radio show where we gave a way two tickets to the event.
- Metromix interviews Manni the winner of last years bacon eating contest.
- Heather posted some great pictures of the event on her blog.
Here is a video of this years bacon eating contest:
Manni wins the contest for the second year in a row.
Here are a few of my favorite Tweets from the event:
(You can see them all here)
BaconUnwrapped: Overheard at Bacon Fest “I don’t know what to do next. More bacon…or more beer…”
BBQAddictsJason: 30 Bacon Explosions – #brbf
sunsetcitybbq: is enjoying all the pics on Twitter from the Blue Ribbon Bacon Fest! Bacon ROCKS!
That’s all the coverage of could pull together so far. If you have anything else let me know and I will update this post with it. Also, I will be doing posts on all the bacon producers and venues that supported this year’s event.
To everyone that attended and was a part of the Second Annual Bacon Festival, “Thank you and hope to see you all next year”!
The photo at the beginning of this post is of all the great minds of the Bacon Nation meeting together for the first time. From left to right, Brooks Reynolds (one of the master minds of BRBF), Heather Lauer of Bacon Unwrapped, Jason Mosley (Mr Baconpants), and Jason Day (one half of the Bacon Explosion BBQ team).