cornbread

Think back to your last birthday. Some of your friends probably went to the store the night before and sat in the cake aisle trying to remember what your favorite type of cake is. They argued the merits of chocolate versus vanilla, danced with the idea of an ice cream cake and the one girl that listens exclusively to top 40 hits probably chimed in with a funfetti suggestion. And you were probably very happy with whatever they made for you, because it meant you had good friends and your pie hole was full of cake (and therefore a minor identity crisis).

But they never made the cake you really wanted. Even if you say Red Velvet is your favorite and they couldn’t have made a better choice, you’re wrong. You didn’t get a bacon cake.

Well this guy did.

I was pleasantly surprised on my birthday with this heaping homemade cornbread cake, topped off with a bacon-cream cheese frosting. They even stabbed it and made icing blood to remind me that while my eyes were seeing cake, I was tasting the sweet chewy goodness of applewood smoked bacon.

It wasn’t your typical sweet cake, but like all you bacon enthusiasts, I would take cured meat over something sweet any day. The cream cheese frosting mixture gave it just enough sweetness to set off the delicious pork infusing it. And though it may be the southerner in me talking, no type of bread goes better with bacon than cornbread.

When your friends can take a birthday and turn it into a bacon girthday, you know you’re surrounding yourself with winners… and possibly fatasses.

By Mike Adamson

8 Responses to Cornbread Birthday Cake with Bacon-Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Kismet says:

I had to look at this, I think my cornbread recipe is the “top 40 girl’s” funfetti cake suggestion.

I make a good from-scratch, double batch of cornbread batter (it takes double, you don’t want to just coat stuff with cornbread, but actually have cornbread with stuff in it.) Added to this is: lots of bacon, diced tomatoes, diced mild chilies – canned are ok for these, but drain well, can of french-fried onions, can of sliced black olives, drained, and a big handful or small bag of shredded cheddar cheese. Maybe some more bacon, if I decide it’s not really overloaded enough at this point. Bake at the same temperature you normally would, and test it by checking if a knife inserted near center comes out clean.

I butter the top as soon as I take it out of the oven to keep it from getting dry. Good hot or cold. I started using disposable pans when making it for potlucks because there was never any left to bring home.

Kismet,

That is some cornbread, it almost sound like it could be a meal in itself.

My family is from the south so I have a strong love of cornbread. I am glad to see that your recipe doesn’t have sugar. For some reason Yankees love to ruin cornbread by adding sugar to it. ;)

3. Mike Adamson says:

Yeah Kismet this sounds amazing. I think I know what I’m cooking for the Super Bowl party I’m headed to this weekend.

Even though I’m from the South, I must shamefully admit that I love cornbread with sugar. I know Jason is cringing and wondering why he has me writing here now that I say that, but it’s really the same idea as putting molasses on your cornbread. That being said, I’ll never thumb my nose at real cornbread from the south.

Mike,

Don’t worry you only lost a few cool points for liking sugar in cornbread. Now if you told me you preferred turkey bacon over real bacon we would have an issue.

5. Mike Adamson says:

Yes, that would be grounds for an honor duel. And I would have to throw the duel in shame while my family would be barred from respectable barbeque and breakfast restaurants for six generations.

Looks like someone has been reading their bacon manual. :)

7. Brehmblebee says:

Actually I was looking for this recipe! My grand daughter requested this for her 8th birthday. God help us all….I’m going to do it for her.

8. Robinclarkforever says: