Recently I got an email from Brooks, one the the originators of Bacon Fest, asking me about bacon chops.

“Have you ever had one? I read about it in Food and Wine and am trying to see if a local butcher can get me some.”

Sadly, I had to tell him that I never had one. Even thought it’s a popular Irish dish I never noticed it on any menus. It could also be the fact that I haven’t been to many Irish restaurants.

Me being a lover of all things bacon, I feel I need to find a bacon chop and eat it right away. So I started my search on Google, but to my surprise it really didn’t come up with a lot information.

Luckily, Heather from Bacon Unwrapped emailed her suggestions for finding a bacon chop. She says that I would have a good chance, if I find a butcher that specializes in pork. Pittsburgh does have some nice markets and butch shops so that should not be a problem.

Heather also says:

“The Irish version of bacon typically comes from the shoulder or loin, so I’m pretty sure a Bacon Chop isn’t actually cut from the belly like American bacon.”

This means that its going to be more like a thick cut of back bacon and most likely not smoked. I have also seen a bacon chop pictured with a bone on one side, so then again maybe its more like a pork chop. I guess I will only know the answer to that after I have one myself.

I need your help! I need to find a recipe for a bacon chop that I can make at home. Also since Google failed me please share any information about bacon chops via comments.

9 Responses to How do I cook a bacon chop

I almost had a heart attack just reading this.
    Thats to much of a good thing!

2. BS says:

OK, first of all – Irish Bacon is great – but it isn’t bacon-bacon, so don’t get too excited. I’m a fan, it’s just not as perfect a taste as ameri-bacon.
    My mom usually makes this for St. Patrick’s Day – it’s actually boiled, traditionally with cabbage. Here’s a recipe/instructions:

Thanks for the information guys, keep it coming! All this talk about bacon is making me hungry.

4. Brent says:

Ok,

So here’s what you need to do if you want a true bacon chop. A true bacon chop will be the belly while it is still attached to what we consider the Spare or St. Louis Ribs. I’m guessing most butchers buy the ribs already trimmed from the belly. Hence why you will need a local small shop guy. If you have a friend of a friend of a friend that knows a small farmer figure out where they sell their hogs to and ask the butcher to give you a chop cut from the belly with the spare rib attached. If he can slice them that will be helpful since you will need to cut through alot of cartalidge since they won’t be able to trip it off like they do to bring a Spare rib to a St. Louis. You might want to get a few people to go in on this with you because it might be a considerably large bill when you consider you are taking away both bacon and ribs which will add up to around $4/lb. combined at least.

5. Lurah says:

I found a recipe for Bacon Chops that I am planning to prepare for an Irish luncheon soon:
    1 Tbsp oil
    4 bacon chops
    1 or 2 cooking apples
    pat of butter
    1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 cup each of apple cider
    2 Tbsp dry hard cider (I’m using apple brandy)
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
    2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
    salt and ground black pepper
    sprigs of thyme for garnish

Heat oil in lg heavy skillet over med. heat and cook chops 10-15 min, browning well on both sides.
    Peel, core and slice apples, remove chops from pan, keep warm. Add butter and apples to pan, cook til juices begin to brown.
    Add garlic, sugar cook 1 min., then stir in cider, hard cider, vinegar, mustard, chopped thyme. Bol for few min until reduced to a saucy consistency. Season to taste, place chops on warmed platter , garnish with thyme sprigs. Serves 4.

6. mike says:

first of all you do not boil proper bacon I am scottish but our bacon is the same as irish, you either fry or grill it. a bacon chop is cut from the shoulder and includes some of the belly.

Mike!

Thank you so much for you help. I now know what a Bacon Chop is… now I just need to find one so I can try to cook it!

8. Heather says:

I hit the jackpot yesterday…a new pork butcher in Phoenix called The Meat Shop is selling Irish bacon (which is the same thing as a bacon chop). They sell it in thin slices, although I’m sure I could ask to have it thicker. They currently don’t ship out of state, but if I remember I’ll bring some with me to Pittsburgh next month.