On Monday I woke up a little late for work. Everything started off as planned for me to only be 5 minuets late. I took a fast shower, skipped packing my lunch, and didn’t check my email before running out the door. These were things I sacrificed to save time and my ass.

Once on the road, I was making record time. It was like the traffic lights knew I needed their help, they all turned green as I approached. At 9:00 am. I wasn’t worried, I had 7 more minutes to go until I had to be at my desk.

Everything changed when I noticed that I had caught up to the car ahead me a little to quickly. At that point I checked my speed and saw I had slowed down to 30 MPH. The posted speed limit was 45 MPH. I looked through their back window to see if I saw any sign of trouble. The driver looked calm and the car seemed to run fine.

After my close inspection of the car and driver, I noticed a speed limit sign ahead. I thought at this point they would notice the sign, check their speed, and correct their error. That didn’t happen.

The traffic behind me began to beep their horns and ride my ass. Me, being a peace-loving bacon-lover, I didn’t join in. Well…then again maybe I did ride their ass and point angrily at every speed limit sign we passed (we passed 4). I was pissed.

Finally, after my dream of only being 5 minutes late were shattered, we came to a light. Thankfully, they headed for the turning lane and cleared my path. When I passed them, I was sure to give them a few hateful looks.

Long story short, I was 20 minutes late for work because some ass couldn’t read a speed limit sign. I still can’t figure out why someone would drive like that. Did they really not know it was a 45 MPH zone? Also, if they were broke down, why didn’t they turn on their flashers and move to the shoulder? The only reason you have to drive under the speed limit is weather related. Other than that, you have no excuse.

At this time, I would like to point out that the car in the picture above is not the car I was stuck behind. If I would have been stuck behind a bacon car, this would have be a totally different post.

18 Responses to Attention slow drivers: I hate you!

Everyone………………..Feel the Love

2. Matt G says:

You should write about how it takes you an hour and a half to get ready to go to Ikea.

Or how you can’t help your friends load up music equipment until after you eat pancakes. Even thought they’re already there waiting for you.

Mr. Perfect

I really don’t know how this comment fits in with the post. How does this post make me a Mr. Perfect? Did you actually read the post, or did you just want to make a mean comment?

If you still had your own blog I would be flattered if you did a post about how many times I pissed you off. Then maybe you could finally put the pass behind, because it really doesn’t matter anymore.

So what, I didn’t up load up band stuff, or going to IKEA was not a priority that day. Everyone does stupid stuff and lets down their friends sometimes. But you know what, friends let things go and don’t holding thing over their friends heads.

If friends didn’t let things go, I would have stopped being your friend when you cost me over $1000 and almost ruined our lives. But friends make mistakes and since the value of the friendship out way the risk and letdowns that are involved, the friendship continues.

Love, friendship, respect, admiration are the emotional response of one man to the virtues of another, the spiritual payment given in exchange for the personal, selfish pleasure which one man derives from the virtues of another man’s character.

– “The Objectivist Ethics,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 31.

4. Conall says:

I’d like to know if the bacon car has exhaust that smells like bacon. That would be the Pied-Piper of cars!

Conall,

It would be!

I was thinking about painting my Neon Red and putting bacon strips on it. I would just have to figure out how to get the bacon exhaust to work.

6. saleat says:

45 mph means that it’s the MAXIMUM you CAN go, but you DO NOT have to.
    Does the sign mean that you MUST go this speed ??? NO, of course.
    The other guy is relaxed, and he enjoys his drive. And that what everybody should do – do not rush, take it easy. Life is really TOOOO short.

Life is too short to be stuck behind some jerk going 15 MPH under the MAXIMUM Speed.

8. Tom says:

saleat, bullshit. If you see a caravan of cars building behind you, you’re an asshole. If cars are passing you on the right, you’re an asshole. That’s well and all if you want to relax, but doing it on the road while driving well below the speed limit is dangerous. YOU are disrupting the flow of traffic and are a traffic hazzard.

9. SAM says:

for all thous who think that it is not illigal to drive bellow the speed limit
    you are wrong!

it is illigal to drive in a mannor likely to cause nusance to other drivers.

if multiple drivers are directly behind you you are causing nusance to them (and yes this is the likely outcome)

if they are overtakeing at dangerous times you are partly to blame because it is unreasonable for one driver to expect a whole que of traffic to wait behind him for a very long time until a chance for just one of them to pass comes.

for god sake if you want to drive slow pull over every 10 mins or so and let the que pass!

10. I have to admit i do drive a little on the slow side, but if i ever found myself doing 30 in a 45 i would certainly correct my speed or pull over. It is the decent thing to do. What makes me laugh is when someone comes up behind you, you instanly move out of the way, and they still give you earfull. No pleasing some people.

11. nadia says:

hi jason,
    i can’t help but agree with you.
    slow drivers are inconsiderate, bad drivers who actually contribute to more accidents. a good, considerate driver would speed up or let other cars past if there’s a queue forming behind them. thanks for contributing to my next post by sharing your experience. please stop by and feel free to offer constructive criticism or more pet peeves;)
    whatpeoplehate.wordpress.com

12. eric says:

I would have checked for cops and then passed him across
    the double yellow line or on the sidewalk. Once I’m
    in front, come to a complete stop and see how the moron
    likes a little of his own medecine.

That thought crossed my mind hehe.

14. The opposite side of this would be the DH that is sitting on your bumper while you try and maintain the speed limit, 30,50 or even 70 on the motorway. My favourite past time for these people is to indicate right and when they start to over take change the indicator to right. I always apologise as though it was a mistake but i usually get greeted with wonderful hand gesture. Consideration for others is the key to a happy trip, or some lsd!

15. Paul says:

I know how you feel, I get caught behind slow people every day for some reason, I seem to have that habit. I am more pissed than you I must say, and I mean no offense by it..because I get people going at least 20 mph under the speed limit. I am an 18 year old, so whenever I get stuck behind these people, I am mad as heck about it..and what makes me more mad about it is when I can’t do jack..because there is no road to pass them. The speed limit in most of my area is 45 mph, and I get stuck behind people going 5 to 15 miles below that, and there is one road that goes for a couple of miles that is 55 mph, and I always get caught behind people going about 20 to 25 mph on that road.

16. SAM says:

paul
    sounds as if you have it very bad.
    i normally get the 45 in a 60 limit lot, sometimes 40 in a 60 limit

any slower than that is rare.

i have been stuck behdin cars where i cant overtake not because of cars comming the other way but because of cars overtakeing from behind, many of them honking as they pass the slowpoke.

one classic one that i remember involved me only getting one chance to overtake, i took it and as i was next to him he suddenly overtook a cyclist who he had been behind for a while. i had to break to ovoid a side on colision.

17. Hammer says:

Everyone should go 10 over the limit..as long as u go 10 over or less they don’t ticket you.  So 55, in 45 is ok..

18. Mark Silvia says:

If I were a cop, I would cite ‘em for obstructing traffic.  People like that should be pulled over and slapped behind the head in lieu of a ticket.  People that drive that slow should take the bus.