Recently, I had to call Comcast to cut my cable package down to the minimum. I could still afford it, but with the rising cost of food and gas I thought it was wise to start making cut backs now. So far it’s been a good decision and the money I am saving is making my life more enjoyable.

With the lower package you only get 16 channels, so the chances of something good be on are slim. So when nothing is on cable I head to Hulu.com, a video website owned by a few of the big media players. It features a lot of great premium content like, the Daily Show, Arrested Development (Seasons 1-3), and movies (with a few ads). The best part is, if you hook up your computer to a HDTV you can watch them in 480p (not bad for free). If they could figure out a way to reliably stream live events, cable might become obsolete.

So instead of paying for a bigger cable package, save your money and watch what you can online. If you can’t find something on Hulu, check out Fancast.com (owned by Comcast), they sometimes have different content.

If you stopped paying for cable and watch TV online, please share your experiences via comments.

7 Responses to Save some bacon and watch TV on the Internet

1. Mogoda says:

Cool, but you should also check out http://www.freetube.us.tc – it’s got live streaming tv channels from around the world. Cool and while it’s not quite perfect, it’s saving me heaps.

I have seen sites like that before, but for got about them. Most of the streaming content is not that good. Thanks for the tip!

3. Matt G says:

First of all.

Thank you for making your banner look more like bacon. You are constant pushing the design envelope

Secondly. I’ve been using hulu for about 2 months now. I love it. I don’t even have basic cable any more.

Thanks, this site is known for pushing bacon to extremes!

5. patheticboy says:

got rid of most cable too. I use hulu, joost, miro, adobe media player and the normal network sites.

i used miro, but couldn’t find any good shows with it. Do you know any good ones I might have missed?

7. FritzTV says:

Online TV is the future, cable is the past…