A friend of mine told me about some new research that came out about bacon causing cancer. I almost didn’t believe it. I know bacon can’t be good for you, but actually causing a cancer? That is something I needed to see to believe.

deadestbacon.jpg

To find the report I went to Bacon Unwrapped, I knew if something like this was going down, Heather would know about it. Sure enough she wrote a nice witty post about it already. Here is one of the best quotes from the article.

And as far as I’m concerned, if I’m contemplating the difference between eating bacon and living to the age of 80 or cutting bacon out of my diet and living to 85, then pass me another bacon wrapped shrimp and put the funeral home on alert.” – Heather of Bacon Unwrapped

Looks like I am going to be making a call to the funeral home too. Since eating a burger without bacon is blasphemy I will still have to eat it. Blasphemy is something no one should have to live with.

8 Responses to Bacon or Life: I Pick Bacon!

1. emily says:

I saw this news story in USA Today last week when I was getting my Chai tea at school, but I kept forgetting to tell you about it. I think it’s frightening that any amount is harmful, not just consumed in mass amounts, but then I think people always knew that nitrites/nitrates were harmful, but people keep eating them anyways. Although since everyone is terrified of cancer it seems, maybe this will get some people to stop. I know I won’t stop eating my bologna sandwiches though! But I have no problem giving up bacon or hotdogs. ;)

2. pat says:

what doesn’t cause cancer?

I’m still gunning for going out at 29, so I should probably pick up the pace. At Bodnar’s birthday party I invented the Death Dog (named by Bodnar). Wrap a hotdog in bacon and enjoy.

@Pat

Now that sounds like a good idea to me! The “death dog”! I want one.

Cut hotdog in 3.

Wrap ea. with enough bacon to cover and stick with toothpick.

Put in cake pan and cover with brown sugar.

Bake 4 or 5 hours at 225 to 250 degrees

Watch them go.

To die for. Pun intended

OH yeah I forgot about them!!!!!! They are so good I never knew how long to cook them…. four to five hours is a long time…. i wonder it there is a faster way.

Have at It #1

7. [...] few weeks ago I wrote a post called, Bacon or Life: I Pick Bacon, about how research showed that bacon consumption leads to cancer. Well to today I am happy to [...]

8. [...] politely tell them I have weighed the risks, and feel that bacon consumption is worth the possible effect on my health down the road. For most people this is enough, but a few will still push the issue. Well with the [...]