Bacn

I need to make an announcement: I do not support the new internet term “Bacn”. I was at PodCamp Pittsburgh talking about the tasty and scrumptious food bacon, so I feel partly responsible. I put the thought of bacon in everyone’s head. Then, mix that with an obsession with twitter and get bacn.

What I don’t like about the new term bacn is that it means, notifications you want, just not right now. See that’s where the problem starts for me. I want the food bacon all the time. So when I hear someone go, “Man, I got so much bacn I don’t know what to do with it”. I would be confused and reply, “Eat it”!

I want bacon all the time, so the new word confuses me. The main reason spam worked so well was because no one ever wanted it, the food or the junk email. They need to think of a new name, maybe scrapple would work.

20 Responses to Bacn Needs to be Stopped

1. Heather says:

bacn is totally disrespectful!

I know its a big slap in the face for bacon lovers everywere!

3. Heather says:

OK, I can’t take it anymore. I’ve started a petition!

4. Rick Mahn says:

Hmm… I always liked Bacon & Spam (Hormel’s), what does that say about me… :D

Yes! The anit-bacn, pro-bacon movement is gaining momentum.

6. [...] couple of people in the blogosphere have protested the term, but as good as the real bacon might taste, it [...]

7. scottsweep says:

While most folks love Bacn – too much of a good thing is not healthy. That’s why the term fits so well. It ain’t spam, but it ain’t steak either. Perhaps more of just a side dish.

@Scott
    Bacon is not just a side dish! Bacon is also not a joke like spam is. So I think the term is giving bacon a bad wrap. The only thing bacon has done to you is shorten your life at the cost of giving you great taste.

Scrpple would have been a better choice.

9. Jennie says:

I watched some special on the Food Network last night about how they cure bacon in sugar and salt and it makes for a better bacon. Curing it with water makes it shrink. Bacon is also good marinated maple syrup and roasted in the oven.

I personally wish I had more bacn and get jealous of some people’s twitter updates of overwhelming bacn.

Bacon = good.
    Bacn = source of emotional instability.

10. ryptide says:

I share your displeasure, Mr. Baconpants.

BACN MUST BE STOPPED!

11. [...] It’s nice to know I’m not alone! [...]

12. Rachel says:

Scrapple IS a better description: always interesting… just not always right NOW.

But poor bacn is just easier to say. :(

(…and Josh totally thought you were handing out Bacon at Podcamp when he read all the bacn twitters! ha)

I wish I was handing out bacon! Next podcamp I will do that!

14. Matt says:

We discovered this site after thinking exactly the same thing this morning and we prepared our own rebuttal to Bacn (bologna), feel free to take a look.

15. Dave says:

I agree that it’s pure silliness to use the term bacon, or bacn, for something that one doesn’t want right now – of course I want bacon right now, who doesn’t?
    I think the friends of bacon need to offer up an alternative term – and I don’t think scrplle is going to cut it. As for me, I’m on the Bologna Bandwagon!

@Matt and Dave,

Bologna is way better! I like it, but if I have too much I get a little sick…

17. Mike says:

how abot “colonoscopy”. hmm thats more “I might need it, but I’m not sure, and I think I can wait”.

how about “children”. want them, just not right now.

so ChildMail. or taking liberties with abbreviation: “Chum”

Spam .. Chum .. Mail.

18. billy says:

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wear bacon brothern 2 work. and nothing else. =)

EAT MY BACON!
    ILOVEYOUALL!!
    123456789
    old mcdonald had a farm ei ei oh
    and on that farm he had a pig and we ate him for lunch
    with a chomp chomp here and a chomp chomp there everywhere a chomp chomp
    old mcdonald had a farm ei ei oh.

19. [...] is a post I did when I was at last years. The “Bacn” fiasco was started on the last day of the UnConference. I wonder what fun will come from this [...]

20. ML says:

That’s a good point, I do think it’s useful to have a term for this but I agree with you about bacon sounding too good. Why not just Ham? You can have too much ham.. i always have some go stale.