I was going through the CDs I have floating around in my car the other day, and it got me thinking. Out of all the music I have in my car, I only listen to five of these CDs, at least once every few weeks. They’re kind of like my standbys and they’re always handy when I am in the mood for one of them. I know you are all dying to know what CDs I am talking about, so here is the list.

marked.jpg
The Marked Men, Fix My Brain (2006): I obtained this CD from a party I had at my house. I always tell people to bring their own music to the party, since I always like to hear new stuff. I guess they forgot it and the next morning I found it in the CD player. On my next trip out, I took it to my car, where I listened to it for a week straight. Even to this day I don’t get sick of it. It’s a great one to play on a warm day with your windows down on a long road trip.

punk.jpg
Refused, Shape of Punk to Come (1998): This is my anger CD. When I am having a bad day and need to vent, this is the one I play. I love this one a lot because all the songs are a journey, since you really don’t know where the song is going to go to next. You will just have to listen to it to know what I am talking about. Also I would like to note that this is one of the only hardcore CDs I can listen to; most of the other hardcore bands out there just sound like loud noise to me.

trio.jpg
Alkaline Trio, From Here to Infirmary (2001): This is one of my all-time favorite bands, and this is my all-time favorite CDs by them. Every song is a sing-along. If you are not singing along by the third time you listen, you must have never had any drinking and heartache in your life. If for some unknown reason you don’t like this, don’t give up on the band, and buy their newest release, “Crimson.” I know a lot of people that hated them at first, but then loved them after listening to their newer stuff.

new.jpg
New Bomb Turks, Switchblade Tongues, Butterknife Brains (2003): This is just a well-rounded punk CD, and when I am in the mood for some loud catchy punk songs, I pop this in. They also do some great covers on this one.

alps.jpg
Nine Black Alps, Everything Is (2005): This was one of the first CDs I ran out to buy after listening to Pandora. If you don’t know what Pandora is, then search this blog; I wrote a story about them. At first I hated the CD; the only song I like was the one that was on Pandora. But then I kept giving it another chance and it finally grew on me. This is the one I play when I just want to chill out after a stressful day.

Well that’s about it. I thought it would be nice to give you some insight into what I listen to the most in my car and why. Feel free to let me know what you listen to when you’re angry or sad. You never know, you may find out that the CD you listen to when you’re angry is what someone else listens to, to have a good time.

10 Responses to Top Five CDs in my Car

I may be dating myself but here goes

Led zepplin-The song remains the same movie soundtrack.Ya,they made a movie.

Hop,Skip,Wobble I’ts like acustic jazz & bluegrass

Metalica The Black album

3 or 4 songs off each Nickleback cd

And # 5 Queen 2 The black and white album Alway thought this would make a good rock opera
    It was there 2nd album,way befor they went mainstream.I alway liked picking a good band befor they were bigtime.AC/DC,Def Lepard,Aerosmith

2. Rick Giles says:

Right out of the Romantic Manifesto, Bacon.

Rick,
    Thats one of the books i need to read still!

4. Angela says:

I love Nine Black Alps! Unfortunately, my car has an archaic cassette player. I don’t even know where you can find a cassette anymore. I think, even the bargain basket by the Walgreens cash register has CDs in it. My last car had a sweet CD player and speakers. It was a rude wake-up call when I had to get a new car.

5. matt g says:

hey man. I can’t find Marked Men anywhere!!

6. ryan says:

first i think that the emusic description of beat beat beat was all wrong. for starters, punk was not generally that fast in 77. new york dolls, ramones, sex pistols. none of their tracks are really as fast as, say, Nasty Nightmare.
    this band has definite power pop influences and a lo-fi sound that is typical with a lot of southeast punk bands and labels. think carbonas, kajun ss, king khan, black lips, frantic, original three. plus beat beat beat is the name of a gg allin song. the reason the recording is bad is because its punk. to polish and shine it up would be to make it like more like the radio rock it goes against. thats why there are missed notes and its obvious they didn’t use auto-tune on the vocals. i dunno that doesn’t mean their great i just figured some context would help you understand the band a bit better.

Matt – You will have to find them online. I dont think there is any record store in robinson that would sell them. They are not on a magor lable.

Ryan – thanks for your opions! feel free to leave comments like that anytime. I still think it has a 70′s sound too it. But you are right it is faster I didnt even think about that. Also I think the lofi recording is good but sometimes missed notes bring a tear to my eye. I also think this a good cd after you hear it a few times.

THANKS!

8. [...] oldie but goodie post: Top Five CDs in my Car – This was a fun post to write and it was one the first post I got more than two comments on. [...]

9. pat says:

you still owe me that beat beat beat stuff.

10. sports cars says:

I like “Nine Black Alps” had a for a while and still enjoy it.